Ravichandran Ashwin earned a name for himself in the shorter version of the game with his street-smart exploits in the IPL, but since his Test debut against the West Indies in 2011, Ashwin has made it a habit to pick up wickets, especially in dry and dusty conditions that encourage turn. He's built a reputation for himself in the shorter versions of the game, particularly in T20 cricket, where his accuracy and shrewdness have helped him establish himself as a reliable bowler. He has filled Harbhajan Singh's shoes and then some, and has established himself as India's best bowler on the subcontinent.
Following his impressive performances for the Chennai franchise in the succeeding editions of the IPL, he was continually banging on the door, and an extended opportunity came in June 2010 when India opted to try something new on their tri-series trip to Zimbabwe.
The crafty off-spinner was selected in the Indian squad for the 2011 World Cup in the Indian subcontinent after being in and out of the team on a regular basis. He was only used for two games, including the quarter-final, and was left out of the final. After the selectors dropped Harbhajan for the Test series against the West Indies in 2011, Ashwin has taken over as the top spinner in the Test team. In particular in Tests in India, he developed a fruitful relationship with left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha.
With an outstanding record of 29 wickets in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in 2013, Ashwin was finally handed a prolonged Test run and was named Man of the Series, launching his career as India's go-to bowler on subcontinental surfaces. In the process, he joined Harbhajan Singh (32) and Erapalli Prasanna as the third Indian off-spinner to capture 25 or more wickets in a series (26).
Ravichandran Ashwin, a rookie from Tamil Nadu, was selected by his home club, Chennai Super Kings, in 2009 and played only two matches. His'sodukku ball,' also known as carrom ball, propelled him to prominence in the following season (2010). The'mystery spinner' was asked to bowl with the new ball under MS Dhoni's leadership, and the kid did not disappoint his commander, finishing with 13 wickets at a miserly economy rate of 6.10.
Despite stiff competition from Royal Challengers Bangalore, the Super Kings were able to re-purchase him for the 2011 season, and the offie has since shown his value. Ashwin took 20 wickets for CSK (economy: 6.15, average: 19.40) and led them to back-to-back championships (2010 and 2011). He was retained by the Super Kings ahead of the 2014 season after becoming an important part of the team's setup.
While he lost some form in 2014, Ashwin bounced back in the next season. Despite taking just 10 wickets in 16 games during the 2015 season, he had an amazing 5.84 economy rate in T20s. Following his two-year suspension from CSK, Ashwin was selected in the 2016 IPL Player Draft by the Rising Pune Supergiants. After a lacklustre season in 2016, Ashwin was forced to miss the 2017 season due to a sports hernia issue. In 2018, Ashwin had to go under the hammer, and Kings XI Punjab paid Rs 7.6 crore for him and appointed him captain. On the cricket pitch, Ashwin has never been hesitant to try new things. In his first tenure as IPL captain, he shown his shrewdness, but he attempted to be too cocky at times.
Ravichandran Ashwin Height and Physical Appearance
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 75 kilograms
- Eye colour: Black
- Hair colour: Black
Ravichandran Ashwin Family
Born on 17th September 1986 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Ravichandran Ashwin Age
is 34. Ravichandran Ashwin Father
, Ravichandran has worked in Southern Railways and is a former club level cricketer. Chitra is the name of Ravichandran Ashwin Mother
Prithi Narayanan Ashwin is Ravichandran Ashwin Wife
. The couple knew each other since the childhood. The duo got married on 13th November 2011 and had their first daughter, Akhira in 2015 and second daughter Aadhya in 2016.
Ravichandran Ashwin Net Worth
R Ashwin's net worth is believed to be about Rs 110 crore (US$15 million). R Ashwin's net worth includes his earnings as an active cricket player from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). His net worth also includes endorsement partnerships with companies such as Johnson's Baby, Castrol, Vodafone, Complan, GRT Jewellers, Gillette, LYF mobile, and HDFC Life.
R Ashwin was acquired by the Delhi Capitals franchise from the Kings XI Punjab during the IPL 2020 dealing and transfer window. R Ashwin's IPL pay for the 2020 season is 7.6 crore (US$1.1 million), according to the contract. After new acquisition Shimron Hetmyer and wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant, R Ashwin's IPL pay suggests that he is the third-most valuable Delhi Capitals cricketer. Ravichandran Ashwin IPL Price 2020 & 2021 was Rs. 76,000,000.
Ravichandran Ashwin Records
- The fastest Indian bowler to take 50 and 100 Test wickets.
- Holds the joint record for the fastest to take 50 wickets and score 500 runs (together with Ian Botham and Jack Gregory) (11th Tests).
- In 2016, he became the second-fastest bowler to reach 200 wickets (37th match), after only Australian spin bowler Clarrie Grimmett (36th match).
- In 2017, he broke Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee's record by being the quickest bowler to take 300 Test wickets (54th match) (56th match).
- After Anil Kumble (619), Kapil Dev (434), Harbhajan Singh (417), and Zaheer Khan, he is the fifth Indian bowler to capture 300 wickets in Test cricket (311).
- After Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar, he is the third Indian to win the ICC Cricketer of the Year title.
- On the fourth day of the first cricket test match between India and England, at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, on February 8, 2021, Ashwin became the first spinner in almost 100 years of Test cricket to remove a batsman with the opening ball of an innings. Ashwin became only the third spinner in the 134-year history of the game to catch England opener Rory Burns in the slips from the very first ball of the second innings, after Ajinkya Rahane did so off the very first ball of the second innings.
Ravichandran Ashwin Awards
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy
- Arjuna Awards for Cricket in 2014
- ICC Award for Test Player of the Year
If you are an IPL fan and want to play fantasy cricket
, download the new fantasy app, Fantasy Power11. This is the best app for you to earn cash rewards daily.